A State program to enable communities to fund:
- Historic Preservation
- Conservation, Open Space and Recreation
- Affordable Housing
- Combination of Town and State Funding – see sidebar.
What Does the Town Have to Do?
- We have to vote to enroll in the CPA program in order to collect State funds.
- It is Question 1 on the Pepperell April election ballot
What Will Community Preservation Do for Pepperell?
- Create Affordable Housing for seniors, veterans and lower income residents, so they can continue to live in their hometown.
- Preserve Open Space
- Support hiking trails, athletic fields, parks, community gardens
- Protect our farmlands and clean water
- Support Historical preservation
- Aid in acquiring, preserving and rehabilitating Pepperell’s rich historical resources
- Raise approximately $250,000 in the first year
Who Decides How the Money is Spent?
- The Community Preservation Committee researches options and makes recommendations
- Voters at Town Meeting decide what project will be funded
How Many Other Massachusetts Town Participate?
- 187 cities and towns
- Covers 65% of Massachusetts residents
As of 2020, Community Preservation Has:
- Preserved over 32,000 acres of conservation and open space
- Funded 3,000 recreation projects
- Created or supported 20,000 units of affordable housing
- Funded 6,300 historic preservation projects